(P1) Bangkok has become the number one destination in the world for tourists. According to a recent survey carried out by a major company, more tourists are choosing to visit the capital of Thailand than New York City and London. The reason for this recent surge in visitors is the increasing number of wealthy people living in the Asia region. Perhaps the popularity of Bangkok is no surprise since it has a rich history and there are many things for tourists to see and do.
(P2) Wats, or temples, are abundant in Bangkok. In fact, you could probably spend an entire two-week vacation trying to explore all the beautiful wats in the city. Wat Arun is one of the most visited wats in Bangkok. It has a tall central tower covered in porcelain. When the sun rises in the morning, it reflects off the tower. This creates a beautiful dazzling effect and it is an unforgettable experience for most visitors. The interior of the building is just as impressive. Beautifully painted murals line the walls and wonderful ceramics are on display.
(P3) The floating markets are another tourist hotspot in Bangkok. These are makeshift markets where people sell things from their boats on the river to shoppers on the street. Vendors might peddle anything from old trinkets to delicious food. Tourists can also hire a boat to travel the waters and follow the markets around the city.
(P4) Travelers who grow weary of the constant noise and crowds can also get outside the city to experience the beautiful countryside. Hua Hin is a resort that sits along the ocean to the south of the capital. It has a tropical climate throughout the year and offers a peaceful spot to relax and go for a dip in the ocean.
VOCABULARY: surge, abundant, porcelain, dazzling, makeshift, peddle, trinkets, weary
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Have you ever visited Thailand? If yes, where did you stay and what did you do? If no, would you like to go there? Why or why not?
- Describe a memorable vacation you went on.
- Do you prefer vacationing in big cities or in a resort alongside the sea? Why?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- More people are selecting Bangkok, as a tourist destination, over ___________ and ____________.
- What is the Thai name for a temple?
- What is another popular attraction in the capital city?
- Street merchants are known to sell _________ and ___________.
- To the south of Bangkok sits a vacation spot in the countryside. What is the name of the place?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- carried out (P1)
- rich history (P1)
- reflects off (P2)
- tourist hotspot (P3)
- peaceful spot (P4)