(Intro) As I’m sure you know, YouTube is a free video-sharing website. It allows people to upload, watch, and share videos. If you are a user of YouTube, you might be interested in these five interesting facts.
1. YouTube grew very quickly – The month after YouTube was first made it had three million visitors. One year later it had 38 million visitors!
2. More men use YouTube – About 44% of users are female and 56% are male.
3. It is popular with young people – Most YouTube viewers are between 12 and 17 years old.
4. The first to 1 million – In 2005, Nike’s advertisement with the football player Ronaldinho was the first YouTube video to be watched 1 million times.
5. All around the world – Every second there are about 50,000 YouTube videos being watched all around the world.
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you use YouTube? Why or why not
- Is Youtube a good way to learn English? Why or why not?
- What websites to you use often? Why?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- YouTube is a fee free website. (T or F)
- How many people visited YouTube’s website the first month?
- The number males and females that use YouTube is the same (T or F)
- What company was the first to reach 1 million viewers for an ad?
- Videos on YouTube are not watched globally. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- first made (#1)
- between 12 to 17 years old (#3)
- the first to one million (#4)
- all around the world (#5)
- every second (#5)
Image source: by “unknown” http://dreamreader.net/lesson/five-fun-facts-about-youtube/