[Technology, Travel, Lifestyle ★★★★]
(P1) Whether you’re a passenger prone to making eyes across the aisle or just thinking about the mile high club every time you board a plane, singles have more fun in the skies. And now there’s a new dating app specifically designed to make flights an opportunity to meet new people.
(P2) AirDates, which bills itself as “the only in-flight dating app,” strives to make air travel an opportunity to find love, before, during, and after a flight.
(P3) Users start by building a profile and spell out exactly what (business, social, party, dating) and whom (age, gender, sexuality, location) they’re looking for. Then users are suggested to update their status and let everybody around know their travel plans.
(P4) Before taking off, users can share their itineraries and find travelers that are going to be on the same flight. The app can also be used to find other singles hanging out in the same airport at the same time.
(P5) And while in the air, travelers can open their app and connect with other singles onboard. The app uses WeChat technology (turn on airplane mode, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth) to connect without using data or relying on spotty plane Wi-Fi. However, the chat feature only works up to 70 meters (230 feet), so those looking to connect with everyone possible on the flight should probably book a seat in the middle of the plane.
(P6) But the app is also practical. For those who travel too frequently to ever use the app to find a relationship, AirDates’s website points out that you can chat with nearby users to share a cab into the city, find out what’s cool a destination, or even uncover secret frequent traveler’s airport hacks.
(P7) The app is currently in beta on iOS but, according to Mashable, will be more widely distributed and updated by February 2017.
VOCABULARY: prone, strives, spell out, onboard, spotty, hacks
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Would you use this app to find love in the air? Why or why not?
- Do people in your country use dating websites? If so, which ones?
- Do you think it’s possible to find the love of your life in an airport or onboard a plane? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Airdates claims it’s the only _________________________.
- Users of the app should give out their travel arrangements to find other people. (T or F)
- Airdates doesn’t use another app’s technology to connect people on flights. (T or F)
- It’s best to reserve a seat in the _______________ of the airplane because the maximum distance of the technology is limited.
- When will the live version of the app be available to some of the public?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- to making eyes across the aisle (P1)
- to find other singles (P4)
- what’s a cool destination (P6)
- widely distributed (P7)
Image source: by “unknown” http://donthatethegeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/airdates-home-page-660×330.png