(P1) Vietnam is a country in Southeast Asia. The official name of the country is the Socialist Republic of Vietnam. The capital of Vietnam is Hanoi. The largest city is Ho Chi Minh City. That city was called Saigon, before 1975. The population of Vietnam is about 87 million people. It is a long and thin country and there are so many different things to see and do there. Vietnam is a beautiful and exciting country to visit. It’s one of the few countries that have wonderful scenery, interesting history, and amazing culture all in the same place.
(P2) Vietnam is a safe and friendly country to visit. The majority of people in Vietnam are farmers, and the people are friendly and welcoming to tourists. There is a lot to see. Vietnam has beautiful mountains which you can climb. It also has large clean beaches. Many of the beaches in Vietnam are considered some of the best in the world. Vietnam is also cheap to travel around. Transport, shopping, and eating out is not so expensive. In some places, lunch or dinner only costs about $1. For your next vacation, why not visit Vietnam?
VOCABULARY: official, scenery, amazing, farmers, climb, considered
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Have you ever been to Vietnam? If yes, describe it. If no, do you want to go there? Why or why not?
- Is there beautiful scenery in your country? If yes, where?
- Do you prefer to go to the mountains or beach? Why?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- What part of Asia is Vietnam located in?
- Saigon is the former name of Hanoi. (T or F)
- Vietnam is a ________ and __________ country.
- A lot of people in this country are tour guides. (T or F)
- It’s possible to pay one dollar for lunch and dinner. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- official name (P1)
- to see and do there (P1)
- not so expensive (P2)
- why not visit Vietnam? (P2)