[World News ★]
(P2) US President Obama reacts to this. He tells 35 Russian diplomats to leave the USA. Sergey Lavrov is the Russian foreign minister. He wants to tell American diplomats to leave. Russian President Putin, however, does not want this.
(P3) American diplomats stay in Moscow. Putin wants to work with the USA.
VOCABULARY: cyber attack, election, reacts, diplomats, minister
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you think Russia did a cyberattack on the USA? Why or why not?
- Do you agree with Obama’s reaction? Why or why not?
- Do you think Putin really wants to work with the USA? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- The article is about ___________ and the _________.
- Russia does a cyberattack on ______________________.
- How many Russian diplomats does Obama tell to leave the USA?
- Who is the foreign minister of Russia?
- The American diplomats have to leave Russia. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- about Russia and the USA (P1)
- to leave the USA (P2)
- does not want this (P2)
- stay in Moscow (P3)
Image source: By CC BY-SA 4.0 Maria Joner http://www.cgpolicy.org/articles/can-putins-palestine-peace-plan-succeed/